A landmark of Rethymno, inside Fortezza. Originally the Cathedral of St. Nicolas, built in 1583 during the Venetian possession, the church was converted into a mosque during the Turkish occupation in 1648, by the Sultan Ibrahim Khan. Its impressive semi-spherical 11m diameter dome is one of the largest in Greece. The remnants of the base of the minaret which once stood there can be seen on the northwestern side of the mosque. Today the mosque is not open for visitors.
Location: Fortezza castle