On the way to Fortezza, the museum houses a collection of approximately 700 works of contemporary Greek and local artists, from 1950 to date. In its central space, the museum exhibits part of the works of its permanent collection, presenting adequate samples of art, from abstraction and geometry to neo-expressionism, new representation arts, minimalism, object in space, sculpture and combined sculpture and painting, installations in space and settings, conceptual art, photography, computer processed works of art.
The gallery regularly organizes and hosts exhibitions of Greek and foreign artists, in some of the halls of the building or in alternative spaces it uses. Throughout the duration of the exhibitions there are daily organized tours for children, young people and adults.
In 1996, the Educational Section of the Museum of Contemporary Art of Crete started The Workroom of Fine Arts, (Himaras 8, +30 28310 57353, firstname.lastname@example.org) operating classes for children and adults, to give students the opportunity to learn many different techniques and media such as drawing, painting, pottery, mask making, collage, constructions, jewel-making, etc.
Location: Mesolongiou 32
- 1,5 € University students, card members of the European Youth Card, members and the families of Federation Associations of Civil Aviation
- Free entrance for students until 18 yrs old and card members of the International Council of Museums (ICOM) and of the Association of art critics (AICA)
- May 1 – October 31: Tuesday – Friday 9:00 am – 2:00pm & 7:00pm – 9:00am / Weekend 10:00 am -3:00 pm
- November 1 – April 30: Tuesday – Friday: 9:00 am – 2:00 pm /Wednesday & Friday: 9:00 am – 2:00pm & 6:00 pm – 9:00pm / Weekend: 10:00 am – 3:00 pm
- Free admission days
- 18 May (International Museums Day)
- last weekend of September (European Heritage Days)
- 27th September – World Tourism Day
- January 1
- March 25
- Easter Sunday
- May 1
- December 25 – 26