The mosque is believed that it was built on top of the Venetian church of Agios Onoufrios. It was surrounded by an Islamic monastery, of which 13 continuous cells have been preserved. The mosque has 9 domes and the oldest surviving minaret in Rethymno (1789).
The building has been restored recently, because of the serious damages after the bombings in 1941 to host the Paleontological Museum of Rethymno.
Location: Satha and Markellou